This one can get messy so it is best to do outside or in the kitchen sink.
You will need:
- Sandwich-sized ziplock plastic bag (inexpensive brands work best)
- Vinegar – 1/2 cup
- Baking soda – 4 tablespoons (maybe a little more, but not less)
- Tissue – one sheet (the kind you blow your nose with)
1. Open the ziplock bag and pour 1/4 cup of vinegar inside. Close ziplock bag and set aside on a flat surface.
2. Open up tissue so that is laying flat on a surface.
3. Put the four tablespoons of baking soda in the center of the tissue paper.
4. Open up the ziplock back. The weight of the vinegar should help keep the bag open.
5. Grab the four corners of the tissue paper bringing them together over the baking soda so you make a little pouch.
6. Holding the tissue pouch by the four corners so the baking soda does not spill, put it inside the ziplock.
This is where things can happen fast.
7. Close the ziplock bag and start shaking it. It will begin to fizz and the bag will begin to expand like a balloon.
8. Put the ziplock bag on the ground when it begins to seem like it is going to explode open. (We threw ours down.)
9. Step back and see what happens.
An acid-based reaction takes place between the baking soda and the vinegar, which creates a gas called carbon dioxide. The carbon dioxide needs a lot of room to expand. As the gas continues to expand, it forces the bag to pop open.